True. Honorable. Just. Pure. Lovely. Commendable. Excellent. Worthy of Praise.

True. Honorable. Just. Pure. Lovely. Commendable. Excellent. Worthy of Praise.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Days 78-80 (Apr. 30 to May 2): Transitioning From April to May

I love how close I am to finally being updated! I'd say one more round after this should do it. It's been exhausting I must say. It was a HUGELY diverse weekend. So here Round Nine goes.

Day Seventy-Eight (Friday, April 30)
You may have noticed that I start "weekend" posts on Friday, even though I do in fact am aware of Saturday and Sunday being the only two days considered the weekend. But since I was in elementary school, I have always counted Friday-after-school-hours to be the weekend. After all, I could stay up late that night and sleep in the next day.

Anyway, I kept waking up between 9am and 12pm, after having taken Advil PM the night before. I just needed to get some sleep and hadn't been since quitting my job. I fell into the unfortunate habit of staying up until 3am, so I knew it needed to stop, thus the sleeping pills.

Speaking of how I quit my job, I spent a lot of time in prayer, asking God to please help me bring income in once again. I was very specific about when I wanted this to happen by (May 11), even though it terrified me to do so, once more. Well, less than 3 hours later, I got a call from the photographer who I'd met during my trial shoot with Monica. Her name is Rosina and she had a gig coming up in 2 days. Her other other assistants couldn't make it, and would I like to instead? Ummmmmm, what...?? This is literally 3 hours after praying for this very thing. God is so funny! Anyway, she later sent me the info for the Bat Mitzveh, and told me that if we worked well together, we could sign a contract to work together in the future. I told her how much Monica paid me and she took that into consideration.

I once more watched the episode "Home" of Glee, my new obsession. It again inspired me, sometimes to the point of tears. Cheesy of course, but true nonetheless. Kristin Chenoweth's performance is just so beautiful and moving. I love watching her perform because every note is filled with passion, which you can see in her eyes, body, and every movement. I kept thinking about what Mariam said before Book Club started. She was talking about Eric Little (from Chariots of Fire) and how he said, "I feel God when I run."

So, fast forward to later when Alison and I met up at Vic Park's Urban Brew Cafe. Alison parked her car and then we drove to Veer's place to meet up with Andrea and the host. We were there for 30 or so minutes, sipping on margaritas. We actually got into some pretty deep convos about bad relationships and such while eating chips and hummus. Found out something pretty surprising about Veer too! 

Around 9:45pm or so, Alison and I took off to pick up her car and then Ryan at Bamboo Flats. Both he and Alison had to be up at 6am the next morning to go to Miami, but she convinced him that he should come out anyway. She drove us to 1921, which used to be called Godfathers. We heard Ryan Alexander's band rock out harder than they ever had before. But Ryan, Alison, and I were in the mood to dance. We parted ways with Veer and Andrea who were gonna stay longer to hear her friend Miguel DJ. 

Sadly, dancing did not work out in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Alison is only 19 years old and they're really strict about being 21 years old in order to be let into the club. Not a bad rule to have, but frustrating nonetheless. It was still good hanging out with Ryan and Alison until about 1:00am. And thus was the end of April.

Day Seventy-Nine (Saturday, May 1)
The transition from April to May was quite nice. I had a perfect Saturday in just about every regard. I started the day on the beach with Jim, then Jim and Andrea. She came as a last minute thing, and I'm sooooo glad she did! She even asked us what we wanted from Jamba Juice so she could get it for us. When she got there, we all 3 talked, but mostly Andrea and me since Jim was immersed in his book Brothers Karamazov. Even though it was overcast, it was still nice out, so we women went out to the ocean and battled the better-than-usual waves while finally catching up one-on-one! Oh my gosh it was WONDERFUL! It was like old times, and we even continued our conversations after she and Jim both left, via the phone. 

I took a little longer to get ready for Jaclyn and Nicole's birthday bash, so I was glad when Alli was running late to get there and get ready with me. (She had to work that day until around 5 or 5:30.) She's the best and didn't even need me to meet her downstairs the way I usually do with everyone else. She instead came to me and then we got ready together. (I had been, but as I said, was running late.) She helped me with makeup because I was super frustrated by how I do mine lately. We were running a little late together, but it was just as well since people didn't arrive for the party until 30 or so minutes in. 

After fielding some dying-GPS problems and getting cut off from each other, we finally arrived at Christine's By the Sea around 7:30pm. We got there around the same time as the birthday women. It was GORGEOUS outside too. I wore one of my favorite dresses that I bought in high school. Haha, sounds like it would be terrible, what with it being so long ago, but it's very retro, and I got several compliments from some very stylish women, such as Jaclyn and Erin. Felt good to bring it back out again. We got there and found out that Christine's By the Sea and the Tiki Bar were 2 different things. Jaclyn wanted the Tiki Bar aspect, so we all found spots outside where a lot of older people were singing karaoke (really well!) and dancing. It was so cheesy but perfect.


It was cool seeing good friends, and making new ones, such as Marty. His name automatically made me like him as images of Back to the Future sprung to mind. I also enjoyed when he "rescued" Jaclyn's Dora the Explorer balloon. He seemed to be entertained by how excited Alli and I got by the prospect of splitting a Mudslide. (I don't know why I call White Russians my favorite drink when clearly the Mudslide is superior.) 









Gleeks

I had fun talking with various people throughout the night, including Zach and Danny Escalante who I hadn't seen in quite awhile. Team Zach-and-Laura-Planning-Party came together again and we decided we need to do another joint event soon. Yay! 

After awhile, we all decided that with no cake or dessert, we needed to fix that, so we decided to go to DQ. Except, it was 11pm and it was closed. McDonalds was open, but only the drive-thru. Haha, so I had my first "Junior High Experience" and ate ice cream in the parking lot of McDonalds, Sonic drive-in style. We were there for 2 hours, no lie. It was cool having girl-talk with Val for a lot of that time, as well as getting a few more pictures in there. Oh yeah! And I enjoyed the short drive-through McDonalds with Veer to get ice cream and such.



Haha! I love Andrea's impromptu role in this photo. 


I finally said my goodbyes close to 1:00am, especially since I had to be Rosina's photography assistant the next day at 11:00am.

Day Eighty (Sunday, May 2)
When I got home the "night" before, I just could NOT sleep! I didn't fall asleep until 4am, yet I woke up at 8am. Crazy. But it was nice because I was able to get cute in an unrushed fashion :) I also had time to freely talk to Andrea when she gave me a call at 9am.

It was a really hot day out, so it wasn't so fun wearing a black quarter-sleeve, black pants, and with my hair down while assisting outside. But every "painful" moment was worth it because I had an absolute BLAST helping out for 13-year old Shara's Bat Mitzveh in Boca Raton. She's a cutie! It was blazing hot, but I enjoyed applying the things Rosina taught me and interacting with Shara's large group of family and friends. After we got the portrait shots done, we went into Asia Restaurant to photograph people eating.

While inside, we got to hear people's tributes to Shara, and even heard a personalized version of Taylor Swift's "You Belong with Me" by one of Shara's good friends. Her friends and family put together a scrapbook with pictures, words of wisdom, and recipes. It was precious! And I also enjoyed the Rabbi's speech, as well as her cute mother's words of wisdom while her father recorded it all on video. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2.5 hours there.

Afterwards, I helped Rosina pack up her car, and we sat down to talk logistics. She said she liked how I worked and that she would love to work with me again. Yayayayyayayayay!!!

To celebrate, I appeased my empty stomach and went to Subway to eat lunch while reading a book. Then I went to the Barnes and Noble in Glades and chilled there. The thing that stands out there is how I got to tell off my ex online about what a scum bag he was for trying to cheat on his current girlfriend with me. He disgusted me and I let him know it in an all-too clear way.

Things were pretty chill from there. On the way out of the bookstore, my friend Liz and I planned to hang out the next day with Eric. After I got home, I gave into my exhaustion from little sleep and napped. As wonderful as that was, I felt bad about sleeping through the evening service I had planned to attend.

Two very wonderful women managed to cap off my overall wonderful day by communicating via phone and the web. First, Val and I sent texts back and forth between us, validating each other as friends. She is such a sweetheart and I'm so glad I know her! Secondly, Alli and I gchatted for awhile around midnight (which of course, is technically the next day, Monday) about how things were going for her, now that she was on her 2-week vacation.

So yes, it was most definitely a beautiful transition from April to May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment